1.15.2014

taking every thought captive

Fear is always there, threatening to pull me under. A few lying thoughts not taken captive and I am drowning, unable to keep my head above the dark waters.

The enemy is sneaky. A few thoughts that I don't give much attention to, tucked away in my mind until something triggers my fear. Every lying thought not taken captive to the Truth in Jesus has the potential to drown me, even though they seem so inconsequential at the time.

Lying in the dark, unable to sleep, the thoughts come. I need Light. I pad down to the table, light a candle and read this:

Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life. Philippians 4:7 MSG

I know this verse. It's as familiar to me as the worn slippers on my feet. When Craig came home from the hospital, it was written on the glass door so I could see it when I needed it - and I needed it constantly. Just reading it now makes me take a deep breath in; His familiar Peace fills me.

Thank You for this life preserver today, Jesus. When my heart clings to You, my storms are quieted to a gentle whisper. You always provide just what I need, when I need it the very most.


2 comments: